Giving some form of a sedative medication to patients during dental treatment is what sedation dentistry is all about. It causes relaxation and decreases anxiety so that the patient is comfortable and the dentist can work safely and efficiently. Sedation dentistry is most popular for those who experience mild to moderate dental anxiety, patients who have dental phobias, and children who are frightened by dental visits.
There are a number of advantages that sedation dentistry offers to both patients and dentists. Here are some reasons that it is popular with patients:
- Pain is diminished so that the patient hardly feels the instruments, needles, or anything else as part of the treatment.
- Awareness is reduced so that that patient doesn’t realize exactly what is happening and doesn’t keep track of the time spent in the dental chair.
- Anxiety is lessened so the patient feels calm and carefree while undergoing treatment that normally might cause upset.
- Side effects are minimal and rare, making sedation dentistry both safe and effective.
- The gag reflex is reduced so patients who might normally have problems gagging during treatment are able to undergo procedures without issues.
- Time is saved for the patient because often all treatments can be performed in one office visit, instead of having to make several trips and miss more time from work or other activities.
Dentists enjoy benefits of sedation dentistry as well:
- Patients are more cooperative and able to sit still during treatment, allowing dentists to get the job done with less trouble.
- Multiple procedures can be done in a single office visit, so the dentist can accomplish more in a single time slot.
- Reflexes of the patient are more controlled so that movement is less haphazard and the dentist can work more efficiently.
Our dental office is located in Sarasota