If you are about to undergo a dental therapy that necessitates the use of sedation dentistry, especially IV sedation, there are definitely some important questions you should ask your dentist prior to the procedure. Remembering to ask these questions can be difficult, especially if you are feeling anxious or ill at ease with regard to the treatment.
Use this guide to give you some of the most important questions you might not have thought of or remembered to ask:
- What type of sedation will I be receiving?
- What risk factors – even rare ones – are associated with this type of sedation?
- How long will the treatment take, and during how much of that time will I be sedated?
- How will the sedation be administered?
- Who will give me the sedation and monitor it during my treatment?
- What safety measures do you have in place in case of any medical emergency?
- What would happen in the case of a cardiac emergency or a seizure?
- Who is trained in CPR and other life-saving skills?
- What kind of preparations do I need to make prior to my treatment?
- Should someone accompany me to be present during the treatment?
- How soon following treatment will I feel awake and alert?
- May I drive myself home afterward?
- What kind of pain can I expect after my treatment?
- How will I manage my discomfort?
- What kind of aftercare does my particular treatment require?
- What signs should I look for that would lead me to contact you for a follow-up?
Talk to Sarasota sedation dentist Dr. Jenifer C. Back to get the answers to questions like these and any others you may have prior to receiving sedation dentistry.